Tattoo & Body Modification Policy
The Santa Fe Police Department has a strict policy regarding tattoos and body modifications. As such, the following tattoos and body modifications are prohibited.Candidates with tattoos and/or body modifications are encouraged to check with the recruiting staff early in the application process.
Policy # 88.1.116 Body modifications visible while on duty are prohibited. Body modifications include, but are not limited to:
- Tongue splitting or bifurcation
- Complete or trans-dermal implantation of any objects other than hair replacement
- Abnormal shaping of the ears, eyes, or nose
- Outlandish or unnatural contact lens colors or color variations that detract from a professional appearance
- Gauging or gradually increasing the radius of a surgically induced opening in the flesh in areas such as the ear lobes or lips
- Branding or scarification
- Abnormal filing of the teeth
- Body modifications shall not include those procedures medically necessitated by illness, deformity, or injury when performed by a licensed medical professional.
Policy # 88.1.117 Officers are prohibited from having tattoos on any part of the hands, neck, face, or head.
Tattoos that are visible in any department uniform shall not exhibit:
- Depictions of nudity or violence
- Sexually explicit or vulgar art, works, phrases, or language
- Symbols likely to elicit a strong negative reaction in the workplace or public
- Illustrations, references, symbols, acronyms, etc. that represent criminal, oppressive, prejudicial, or discriminatory beliefs or organizations
- Political beliefs, political parties, or represent any in a negative light
- Illustrations, references, symbols, acronyms, etc. that denigrate the United States, State of New Mexico, City of Santa Fe, or the Santa Fe Police Department.
Our upcoming test dates are:
November 9, 2019
December 14, 2019
Crisis Negotiation Team
Bike Patrol Team
SFPD is the official recruiting website for the City of Santa Fe Police Department.